Welcome to Chicken Coop Reviews. We know how important it is to get the right coop for your chickens. We were fortunate to have friends that lent us a coop when we had our first chickens.
We were very grateful that we had somewhere for our hens to sleep – particularly because it was December and the middle of winter. However, it didn’t take us long to work out that this coop was far from perfect and to work out what was really needed from a chicken coop.
We want you to benefit from our experience so we have put together this review of chicken coops with our recommendations.
First of all let’s set out the basis for our reviews
What Do You Need from a Chicken Coop
These are the things we judge you need from a chicken coop.
- Safety – you want your birds to be protected from predators (foxes, hawks, racoons and your neighbor’s dog.
- Somewhere for roosting (i.e.sleep). Chickens like to roost off the ground.
- Nesting area for eggs to be laid. Hens like somwhere cosy.
- Made from sturdy materials. You don’t want a coop that falls apart
- Your coop needs to be weather-proof.
- It needs to your chickens a balance of shelter and ventilation.
- It ought to be straightforward to clean and maintain.
- And finally, it should have enough room for your flock of hens. The more room you provide your chickens, the happier and healthier they’re going to be. Generally, chickens ought to get a minimum of 2 square feet per chicken unless you’re raising bantam chickens, that only would like 1.5 square feet. Overcrowded birds are more susceptible to health problems and disease.
On this page you will read our reviews of the top permanent (that is not designed to be movable) coops. We have reviewed mobile coops – also known as chicken arks or tractors, on a separate page. Please look at our mobile chicken coop reviews page for reviewss of arks and tractors. Each review here will have a link to a more detailed review of that coop. For each coop, we give it a score out of 5 for each of these elements.
|Category||Rating of of 5 Stars||Notes|
|Overall Score||Reasonable value|
|Security||Needs additional catches|
|Roosting||Only 1 roosting bar|
|Materials||Will need care|
|Weather-proof||Would kkep rain out.|
|Maintainance||Not easy to clean floor of roosting area|
|Space||Not enough for 4 hens without addtional run|
|Full Review||Take a look at our full review of the Boomer and George Deluxe Chicken Coop|